.down. at His feet.

back to good ol' black.

.about

he answers to ben, neb and oei.

he knows what God has called him to do - whether he thinks it's crazy is another story.

he loves music and attempts to create it when the mood strikes.

he just got too lazy to complete this paragraph.

.past



.credits

Design based on Serene Ng’s Orient
Picture: DeviantArt

Monday, June 26, 2006

I miss the people in Thailand already. Peeps like Florence, Pi Nom, Ah Ying, Ah View, Ah Siew and of course Nook (Nook, I think of you everytime I see a broom). It's been an amazing week in North Thailand, doing stuff you'll never do in Singapore. Riding on top of a song tiao. Walking knee deep in a cool stream. Sleeping in straw houses with an eye watching out for any over inquisitive roach. Eating Shan food (So the veges were pretty ok. Whatever. I still prefer meat.) Doing an evangelistic outreach on the lowest budget I've ever seen.

God spoke to me during the outreach in Na Wai. In Singapore, we've got a great band, a sound system that works, and all sorts of fireworks and gizmos. All we had in Na Wai was 2 ancient amps, a cd player, a mic, a couple of lights and 3 packets of balloons. But I think hearts were touched that night, especially as we re-enacted the story of the prodigal son. And what made a difference was that we gave our all for God to use that night. We worked with whatever we had, and we offered everything we could for the extension of His kingdom. Too many times we rely on having a great ambience. Sound that'll blow you to the next country. A fun, intresting programme. That night I was reminded of the primary ingredient that we just cannot do without - the presence of a Holy God. As we prayed for the vilagers who came forward for healing, it just brought tears to my eyes as I realised how these people, despite being unbelievers, still came forward, knowing that our God could heal them. Could this be the stepping stone to them finally acknowledging God as God?

It's surprising how just being there in the villages can be such a great encouragement to the Shan Christians, some of whom are literally the only believers in their village. But it's very encouraging to see them persevere and cling on faithfully to Christ despite the passive persecution that goes on.

Trilogy was pretty boring. Never been to a camp with so much free time before. It felt more like a tour group with a seminar attached to the programme rather than a fellowship centred camp. But oh well. I don't really like Bangkok. Too noisy, dirty and crowded. I enjoyed Chiang Mai alot better.

Thai food isn't as bad as I thought though. Went with Reuben and Pastor Raymond to have one of the biggest bowls of sharks' fin and birds nest I've ever seen. Thai omelettes are also really cool, supposedly because they add fish sauce to it. The food Ah Chan Prasert's wife prepared over in the Shan villages was also really good. Somehow Shan food has a stronger taste compared to Singaporean food. Probably not good for those with weak stomaches, which brings me to my next point.

I'm suffering from a bout of mild diarrhoea. I don't think it was from Thailand since it only started yesterday afternoon, but then again I didn't eat anything at all since hitting Singapore on Saturday night. I dunno. Either way I've got an MC which is a pretty nice extension for my week-long break from work.

posted by NEB at 5:28 PM